If you want to contact us, please fill this form and we will get back to you shortly.
II ALL BEGINS 500 YEARS AGO...
We first hear the name Meautry in the XVth century in Touques (Calvados region) only 40km’s away, where Guillaume Carel, carrying the title Lord of Meautry, was owner of the land. Today it is the home of the famous Stud Farm that belongs to the Rothchild family….Meautry!
Even if our story began near to the sea, the name Meauty only appears in Montpincon in the heart of the ‘The Pays D’Auge’ in the 18th century. Jean-Francois Bonnet is the indirect descendant of Guillaume Carel and by marriage he carried the title the Knight of Meautry. In 1719 he married Marie Charlotte de Corday who brought to him, in her dowry, the land that is on the edge of the forest of Montpincon. We have a name for the land but not yet for the house, because it’s not yet built !
IN 1750 THE FIRST STONE IS LAID
Jean-François Bonnet had 3 children, first two girls and then, at last, a son, Pierre-François Richard. It is he who built the first ever building in around 1750. It is thanks to his wife’s fortune, Louise Aimée de Malherbe de Malicorne that he was able to build a classically styled house in typical regional red brick. He later added wings to the house, but the hero of our story died aged only 30 leaving the work unfinished.
The French Revolution put the Bonne t de Meautry family in a difficult position. It is Jean-François de Corday, the father of the famous Marie Charlotte, (who assassinated Marat in 1793), a cousin and a neighbour (his house can still be seen in the village of Meslnil Imbert near by) who took charge of the inventory when the Bonnet family fled into exile during the revolution. Despite this the property remained in the family until….1900 !
SIX FAMILIES LATER
In the same year the house is sold for the first time. Uniquely through women it was owned by the families Carel aux Bonnet, Bonnet aux Chaumontel and finally the Chaumontel aux Logivières, all descendants of Carel.
The property is first bought by Jospeh Leconte who only keeps it a few years. He sells it onto the Countess of Goldstein, Countess Pierre Collarini. It is she who has her family crest added in carved stone onto the triangular pediment at the front of the house. She must have carried out other improvements to the house such as the two wings that are still in existence today.
Just after the war the property is sold to Jean-Jaques Grandgerard, a marvelous artist, whose numerous paintings were inspired by Meautry. He lived here for nearly 60 years. In 2004, after a few years with an English family. The first real renovations were undertaken, most noticeably in the house itself, by a young family passionate about restoring historical houses. Finally in 2008 Meautry’s present owners bought the property and began the work have heard about